Invites you to a CONFERENCE with the Dekeyser & Associés law office
20 March 2018 from 12:45 to 14:30 LOI 80 CSC room
The Belgian law of succession was recently modernised to make it relevant to 21st Century families. The reform will take effect on 1 September 2018. The Brussels law office Dekeyser & Associés can help you to prepare for the changes by explaining the new rules.
- What are the particularities that will be helpful for EU officials?
- Who are the legal heirs?
- What rights does the surviving partner have over the deceased's property?
- Are they different for legal and other cohabitants?
- Is it necessary to ensure additional protection for the surviving spouse or cohabitant?
- It is possible to decide on the rights of all heirs in a will? Is it possible to make a living will with the heirs to organise the distribution of the inheritance through a family pact?
- Must all heirs be treated equally?
- Must gifts made by deceased during their lifetime be taken into account when deciding on the distribution of the inheritance?
- Are life insurance policies taken into account?
- What are the specificities for "blended" families?
The Dekeyser & Associés law office will answer those questions, illustrating its answers with examples drawn from its practical experience. The speakers will finish by explaining the possibility, in certain cases, of choosing the applicable law for an inheritance (law of the place of residence, of nationality, etc.). They will show with practical examples the advantages that that choice can offer.